Monday

Jodhaa Akbar

Yes, I am back from my vacation. And while I was in India, I got to watch the Ashutosh Gowariker's movie "Jodhaa Akbar" with my family.


I wasnt sure about how Hrithik would fit in the period movie after his sauve and stylish .. totally contemporary Dhoom2. I think he is a good actor, so I was positive it will be decent. But after I watched the movie, I am in dearth of words to talk about how wonderful his portrayal of Jalaaluddin Mohammad Akbar was. Too good. Cant imagine anyone else in the role of Akbar who would have done it better than him in this movie. I have never seen a picture of Akbar.. I am not sure if there is one. When i thought of Akbar, the face of Prithviraj Kapoor in Anarkali came into my mind before. But after Jodhaa Akbar, I'd like to think Akbar was more like Hrithik ;) And, for the first time ever I actually liked Aishwarya Rai in a movie. So, thats a first ! She looked very pretty and played the role of Jodhaa really well. Ashutosh deserves a lot of praise in conceiving the characters of Akbar and Jodha ... the way we see in the movie...the choice of actors and how he brought out the best in them for the context. The chemistry between them is great.

Music is pretty good. The background score is superb. Kind of reminded me of the background score of the chinese movie "Hero" but does have a uniquely indian flavor most times that makes it well suited to this movie. All songs are really good. The urdu dialogues were so well written and the delivery and timing by Hrithik was superb. There are many good ones.. my most favorite one being the one where he accepts her 2 conditions for marriage. "....उनकी शर्ते इन्शिया अल्लाह लफ्ज़ बा लफ्ज़ पूरी होंगी॥ " Again the dialogue by itself would have been incomplete without the accompanying background music..creating a sense of relief and appreciation through music and without words.. !

All the love scenes and the music accompanying them are very sweet and well executed. My favorite song is the "In lamhon ke daman mein" in sonu's lovely voice. And my most favorite sequence happens during the Mann Mohana song.. when Hrithik is at the Diwan-E-Aam and Aish starts to sing, he is just magically drawn to her, mesmerized... and lost in the melody of her voice/song.. Hrithik/Jalaal walks through the various doors in a daze.. curious and eager to see Aish/Jodhaa..And then he sees her unveiled for the very first time.. and is awestruck.. ! "Love at first sight " should I say.. Wow.. I just loved that scene.. :) The background score by AR Rehman is brilliant in this whole sequence...its like a sweet longing... with a classical touch.. Just thinking about it gives me goose bumps.. ! Cant explain in words anymore.. ! You must see it and feel it. The same score is used initially in the song when the bride's party travels to the venue of the marriage and she is travelling in the palanquin.

Anyway.. I am eagerly waiting for the DVD. It will be something I will watch many times in future I am sure. Overall its a nice movie. I donno how accurate it is as per the historical records.. But I really dont care at this point. Its a well-made sweet romantic movie.. and is definitely worth watching...

No comments:

Marketplace