Wednesday

Tare zameen par

Let me first say this. I am not a big movie watcher. I usually get interested in a specific movie only if I have heard great reviews from lots of people. So, its very rare that I watch any random movie. After having said this, the past weekend was one of those rare occassions, when i wanted to watch some movie.

My husband picked up a couple and mentioned Aamir Khan was one of them. From my past experience with Aamir movies, I figured it may be something interesting. So, I decided to watch the movie "Tare Zameen Par " (means Stars on Earth) ... I had no idea about the movie at all. Like I said.. I rarely keep track of such things. But, to my pleasant surprise, I really loved it. Very touching and very different from the usual masala movies. If you have not watched it yet, I recommend that you watch it before you read any further. I am going to talk about the story..

The movie is centered around a 9 year old boy who is very different from his peers and gets into trouble wherever he goes. Not able to do well at school, his father is always angry at him for not being like his older brother who is a topper in all the academic subjects, and also in sports and everything else. The movie is a look into the little boy's mind, how he sees things differently.. He is always subject to ridicule and punishments for being "careless" and "lazy"... until one day an art teacher understands what is going on with him. He works with the boy and turns him around in a way that everyone is proud of him.

OK, the main story line, ...of an underdog becoming the superstar..is not new.. and is your typical feel-good movie ... that never goes out of style in any country of the world.. ! So, whats special about this one.. ? I think, this movie is thought provoking while it tries to tackle issues surrounding parent-child relationships in today's competitive world. About how ambitious parents burden the little shoulders with high expectations.. and when the children dont meet expectations ..how their parents react and how rejected the kids feel., and how the parents fail to understand what it is like to be a young kid with no acceptance.. How people in general fail to see the positive side of special needs children.. OK.. lots of "hows"..
This subject is not completely new either but rarely do we bollywood movie watchers get such a chance :) All the actors did a great job.. and the movie has been well-made. Music is relevant to the subject and not "intruding"... For a directorial debut, I think Aamir Khan was superb. Lets see what else is in store from this talented bollywood artist. Overall its a must-see movie for anyone who is interested in seeing something different ... especially all parents.. !

No comments:

Marketplace